Friday, February 22, 2019


Main Office
9625 Belvoir Road, Bldg 1017
Barden Education Center, Room 158
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060

Contact Us
Fax: 703-805-9248

SFAC Office
5965 6th Street, Bldg 1263
Ft. Belvoir VA 22060

Hours of Operation
0730 - 1600 Monday through Friday
closed all Federal Holidays and Weekends

Click Below to View the Current Schedules
SFL-TAP Seminars Workshops
SFL-TAP SFAC Workshops Seminars
(Right click and select "Save As..." to download a copy)


Frequently Asked Questions

  • What it SFL-TAP and its mission?
  • When should I start the SFL-TAP process and for how long can I receive assistance?
  • How do I get started in the SFL-TAP Process?
  • What types of services does SFL-TAP provide to clients?
  • What steps should I take, as a recently assigned to a Warrior Transition Battalion (WTB) member or an individual in the Medical Evaluation Board / Physical Evaluation Board process?
  • I want to use SFL-TAP, but my unit will not allow me to participate in the program; what are my options?

  • 1. What is SFL-TAP and its mission?

    Soldier for Life – Transition Assistance Program (SFL-TAP) delivers a world-class transition program for America’s Army. This program ensures that every eligible transitioning Service member gains the knowledge, skills and self-confidence necessary to be competitive and successful in the global workforce. SFL-TAP empowers members to make informed career decisions through benefits counseling and employment assistance. Top

    When should I start the SFL-TAP process and how long after my transition may I receive additional SFL-TAP assistance?

    According to the Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) Act Public Law 112-56 effective 21 Nov 2012, and HQDA EXORD 054-12, ALL transitioning Soldiers [Active Component (AC) and Reserve Component (RC)] on active duty orders for more than 180 days must begin their SFL-TAP process NLT one year before their transition date. Retiring Soldiers may begin the SFL-TAP process up to two years prior to their retirement date. The VOW Act along with the Veterans Employment Initiative (VEI) Taskforce mandates some new requirements, many of which are included in the five-day Transition Goals, Plans, Success (GPS) Workshop.  All mandated requirements must be completed by the Service member (SM) prior to their final date of active duty (as shown on the SM’s DD Form 214).

    VOW Requirements – Public Law 112-56

    • *Pre-separation Counseling
    • **Department of Labor Employment Workshop (DOLEW)
    • *Veterans Benefits Briefings I & II

    The VEI Taskforce established the Career Readiness Standards (CRS) which are a set of career preparation activities Service members must complete in order to depart the military and be “career ready.”  These include:

    • Individual career assessment
    • Individual Transition Plan (ITP)
    • Financial Planning (developing a 12 month post-military budget)
    • MOS Crosswalk (translating military skills into civilian language and completing a GAP analysis)
    • Job application package (developing a resume of choice, either Federal or private sector, compiling a reference list, and submitting two job applications or presenting a job offer letter)
    • Receive a DoL Gold Card (understanding the services offered at Career One-Stop Centers)
    • Completing a continuum of military service opportunity counseling (for Separatees)
    • Registration on eBenefits (
    • A Capstone event during which Service members are to demonstrate—and Commanders verify—that they have met the Career Readiness Standards

    Also included in the new program are three optional two-day classes that Service members may attend:

    • Assessing Higher Education Track
    • Career Technical Training Track
    • Entrepreneur Track, i.e., Operation Boots to Business (how to start your own business)

    *Statutory mandates; remainder are policy required mandates
    ** Only eligibility exemption
    Non-retiring veterans may utilize SFL-TAP services for up to 180 days after transition, while Army retirees may utilize services on a space available basis for life. Top

    3. How do I get started in the SFL-TAP process?

    If you are thinking about separating or retiring from the U.S. Armed Forces, and are ready to begin your congressionally mandated transition process, below are the two available options in order to start the process:

    1. Call your local SFL-TAP Center at 703-805-9247 to schedule your Pre-Separation and Initial Counseling appointment at the SFL-TAP Center; or,
    2. Visit the SFL-TAP website at ( and complete the following steps:
      1. Select Active Component (or National Guard/Reservist On Active Duty) Pre-Separation counseling.
      2. Select Complete Pre-Separation counseling online and view the 90 minute presentation.
      3. Call 703-805-9247 to schedule an appointment with an SFL-TAP Counselor to complete your Initial Counseling appointment at your local SFL-TAP office and to sign up for your remaining mandatory workshops/seminars.

    You must have an active AKO/DKO account with username and password in order to register and complete the online process. (CAC access not supported). If you do not have access to a computer or experience technical difficulties, please contact the SFL-TAP office, and we will work to resolve your issue.  Top

    4. What types of services does SFL-TAP provide to clients?

    SFL-TAP prepares transitioning Clients for success by providing the following services:      

    • The SFL-TAP 5-Day Workshop curriculum includes the following: Transition Overview, MOS Crosswalk, Financial Planning Seminar and 12-Month Budget completion, Department of Labor Employment Workshop (DOLEW), and Department of Veterans Affairs Benefits Briefings Parts I and II
    • One-on-one assistance, by appointment, to develop functional civilian and/or federal resume.
    • Value-added courses include: Applying for Federal Job, Investment Management Strategies, Employee Benefits & Salary Negotiations, Starting a Franchise Business, Post 9-11 GI Bill, Advanced Career Preparation Workshop, and a Marketing Yourself for Second Career class.
    • Outside referrals to organizations to assist with your transition needs.

    Monthly Career Day-Employer Panels and bi-annual Job Fairs.  Top

    What steps should I take, as a recently assigned Warrior Transition Battalion (WTB) member or an individual in the Medical Evaluation Board/Physical Evaluation Board process?

    As part of the WTB, you have a dedicated Counselor assigned to the Soldiers and Families Assistance Center (SFAC). The Counselor is there to ensure that you receive the same services as fellow Non-WTB Service members. Therefore, you will have access to various Workshops and Briefings, including the additional services that are provided within the SFAC. The SFAC/SFL-TAP Counselor may be contacted at 571-231-7020/7019. Top

    I want to use SFL-TAP, but my unit will not allow me to participate in the program; what are my options?

    The VOW ACT is a Commanders’ Program, which includes informing leaders of their Soldiers status with the program, via monthly a Monthly Commander’s Report. Keeping in mind that your unit's mission is the first priority, make every effort to begin your transition process early. This will allow you ample time to schedule and utilize all of SFL-TAP services around mission requirements. Talk with your Chain of Command to see how you can fit SFL-TAP into your duty time. If your unit is not helping you meet the VOW requirements, please contact your SFL-TAP Center for assistance. Fortunately, many of our services can now be accessed online through a Virtual ACAP Center. You can receive pre-separation counseling, in addition to other workshops and seminars provided through your local SFL-TAP Center. The 24/7 Call Center is also available by calling 1-800-325-4715 or visiting them online at (

    Links of Interest

    DHR Facebook


    DHR Facebook Website