By Justin Creech
Staff writer
Thursday, September 6, 2012
Beginning Oct. 1, Department of the Army civilian guards replace the contract guards currently at the gates.
According to Belvoir’s Directorate of Emergency Services, the Army authorized the garrison to hire DA security guards for access control.
The current contract ends at midnight Sept. 30.
Recruiting and hiring of security guards continues as garrison planners work to make the transition, according to David Parchman, DES director.
The goal during the transition is to maintain current operating hours despite existing guard vacancies. Until all the positions can be filled, Belvoir’s mission partners are augmenting guards with uniformed service personnel, said James Leone, Director of Plans, Training, Mobilization and Security. Garrison officials expect the augmentation to continue for 90 days as Department of the Army Security Guards are hired and trained to fill remaining vacancies.
During the transition, drivers entering gates at Belvoir won’t see much change other than the people manning the gates.
“All security policies and procedures will remain the same,” said Frank Hentschel, DES deputy director. Belvoir, in partnership with other garrisons within the Military District of Washington will ensure augmentees are trained to uphold those policies.
“A train-the-trainer block of instruction that will teach each one of the class personnel to be certified instructors so they can train anyone who ends up working at the gates,” said Leone.
Augmentees will also receive on-the-job training during the transition.
“Additionally, they are required to do, three eight hour shifts standing next to someone who is a certified guard,” said Hentschel. “To ensure they are doing and looking for the right things.”
The Army did not authorize guard positions to operate the gate at Woodlawn Village. Belvoir placed guards at the gate following the 9-11 attacks in 2001. Since then, the garrison has been providing the guards out of the total authorization, said Parchman. With the reduction in total guards provided, the garrison can’t continue the practice, he said.
Beginning Oct. 1, that gate will no longer be manned. In order to maintain security in the village, Belvoir Police will increase their presence.
“The safety and security of Belvoir’s military personnel and civilian workforce is something we take very seriously,” Parchman said.